6.02.2010

Thank you to my friends...

As all of you know, I love to share my experiences. I feel that the more information you have, the better decisions you can make for you and your family. I have told some friends that I am looking into becoming a lactation consultant...(hopefully IBCLC will let me with my little medical background!) I would like to thank two friends, Deanna and Stacy, who recently called me with breastfeeding questions. My heart jumped with excitement when I got their calls...here was my chance to give back, to help a "mama in need"! They knew that I had been successful at breastfeeding my son, and had nursed him several times in front of them.

My first call was from Deanna. I packed a bag of helpful books (with pages already tagged), herbs and IBCLC/LLL phone numbers as I headed over. The ideas and tips that I wanted to offer her were swirling around in my head, but I had to keep reminding myself to listen first, and then make suggestions. We spent some time talking, and I left her with Dr. Jack Newman's "The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers". The thank you note from her will always be treasured as she thanked me for my advise and said that she will be giving that book to every pregnant friend she knows!

Stacy called one night with questions about latching on. She had already borrowed most of my books and we had been discussing pregnancy, birthing and nursing from before she was pregnant! I talked with her for awhile on the phone and then visited a few days later. She nursed her baby in front of me and I thought they were both doing great. We talked about different feeding positions and tips.

Thank you ladies for the opportunity to share my experiences.

No comments: