3.28.2011

Just throw it all together

Some nights I find myself just staring into the refrigerator wondering what to make. It is usually when I don't have a plan (which is most of the time!) that I come up with really good stuff and surprise myself.

I hear from mothers all the time that they do not have time to cook a healthy meal, or they don't know what to make. If you always keep the house stocked full of healthy fruits and veggies, beans, lentils, nuts and seeds, herbs and spices, you can't go wrong - just throw it all together!

The other night, I just pulled out a bunch of stuff and started cooking! I usually always start by sauteing garlic and onions in EVCO. Once you get that going just keep adding. I then added in quinoa, red bell peppers, sweet potato, broccoli, tomatoes, and chick peas, adding in S&P, curry, cayenne and cinnamon as it cooked. (Tip - Quinoa was cooked separately and then added in. Also, I boiled the sweet potato separately and then added when it was mostly cooked through) The broccoli and pepper were only in for a minute - still crunchy when they went onto the plate! You don't want to cook for too long as the nutrients are lost the longer they cook.  I then topped the plate with fresh cilantro. It was actually very good, and easy.

So, next time you are not sure what to make, just start pulling stuff out and "just throw it all together!"

No comments: