12.17.2010

Holiday Pumpkin Pie

I love when I can bake something completely homemade. I love that is usually does not look "perfect", as some of the store bought items so, as it is a work of art. I love that I know exactly what is in it and I can substitute ingredients as needed for my family. And, I love that I am eating REAL food! My goal this year to eat more raw, and with my Christmas gift a dehydrator, I am excited to meet that goal head-on!
I just made this Pumpkin Pie! It is so good, and so easy. Do not use that Libby stuff, or a premade pie crust. Use the real thing - your body will thank you!


Vegan Pumpkin Pie

20 min prep / 1 hour cooking + pumpkin cooking time (45min) + pie crust cook time (10 min)

1 medium Pumpkin (1 ¾ C cooked)
¾ C Almond butter
¼ C Almond/rice milk
¼ C Maple syrup
¼ C Sucanat or organic sugar
2 Tbl Arrowroot powder
½ tsp Vanilla extract
¼ tsp Cardamom ground
¼ tsp Cinnamon ground
¼ tsp Nutmeg ground

1. Preheat oven to 350°. Cut pumpkin in half and remove the seeds. Place face down on a well oiled or parchment paper lined baking pan. Bake until a knife easily goes through the skin and the flesh of the pumpkin, approximately 45 minutes.

2. While Pumpkin is cooking, make pie crust.

2 C Spent Flour
1/4 C Sucanat or Organic Sugar
1 Tbl Arrowroot powder
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Cardamom ground
1/4 tsp Sea Salt, or to taste
1/3 C Oil (coconut or olive)
2 Tbl Maple Syrup
2 Tbl Apple Juice
1 tsp Vanilla Extract

Mix dry ingredients together in large bowl. Mix wet ingredients in separate bowl. Add wet to dry, mixing well with hands, making sure all ingredients are well blended. Press into the bottom of 9"pie tin. Bake for 10 min.


2. When pumpkin is done, scoop out approx. 1 ¾ C pumpkin, place in food processor or blender with remaining ingredients and process or blend until smooth.

3. Pour mixture into pie crust and bake until top is firm to touch, approximately 1 hour. Filling may puff up and rise above crust line as it bakes. It will fall back down as it cools.

ENJOY!!

Vegan Fusion World Cuisine: Extraordinary Recipes & Timeless Wisdom from the Celebrated Blossoming Lotus Restaurants

No comments: