5.08.2011

Happy Mama's Day 2011

Well, another year has past. Nolan is almost two, and I am celebrating my 2nd Mother's Day. I was recalling last years blog post on Mother's Day, and am excited to add onto it.

Over the last year, Nolan has been attending gym class, library storytime, preschool twice a week and is watched by babysitters a few times a week when I work. Within this time, he has been exposed to many kids, teachers, parents and activities. He has grown and developed into a smart, curious, independent and fun-loving little boy.

I have also grown and learned too. I have had to apply my health-conscience "mothering" desires outside our home much more. As an example, when looking for a preschool, I had to make sure I found one that met my criteria: accepting Nolan's vaccine exemption, feeding him only the food I provide (while still making him feel included), and providing him with a strong education. I could not be more pleased with his preschool!

With the various places and people we come in contact with everyday, I have had to be more assertive when it comes to appropriate food being offered, toys or games and foul language. I can not even begin to count the number of times he has been offered a cookie, candy, soda or someother food that I do not approve of him eating. I have intervened so any times, it is like second nature to explain, politely but firmly, "No thank you, Nolan does not eat ___". If there is someone using foul language, or kids playing in a way that I don't think is acceptable, I lead Nolan in a different direction.

I am Mama - strong and powerful! I do not wilt or falter. I read and I educate myself constantly on how to provide the best for my family. I never stop learning. It is my job to protect, love and nurture. I know that the best food for us is what is provided by Mother Earth, and nothing else. I know that what our Great Mother provides is best for our bodies - the fresh water to drink, the shining sun, to run and swim in the cool water, to playing in the the warm sand. There is always criticism, prodding, guilty questions and sarcastic jokes surrounding my mothering style, especially when it does not match those of others. But I am not afraid or embarrassed. I stay strong to my convictions, whether it be breastfeeding (almost age 2 and going strong!), sleeping arrangements, food and nutrition or health care. I am confident in my decisions. If others wish to learn what I know, I am more then happy to share - my life is an open book.

I have given myself a new goal this year: "quietly show by example".

I recently read The Red Tent: A Novel,  and my picking it up at the library came at perfect timing for Mother Day. The story gave me such insight, and I was fascinated with the rituals and celebrations of birthing, mothering and womanhood of that era. I know I could not share my husband with 3 other women, as Leah and Rachel did. Nor could I be like Dinah and never have a real relationship with my son. However, I love the special bond and support between all the women, as well as a look into ancient midwifery. It is a wonderfully written book that every woman would appreciate. My curiosity is growing, and I am now about to read Inside the Red Tent (Popular Insights).

As mothers, we are responsible for our children's wellbeing and their health. This is something that I do not take lightly. I know that everyday, every lifestyle choice we make can tip the scale in the direction towards or away from health. I know that when I offer healthy, nutritious meals to Nolan that I am helping him develop his palate and curiosity for foods (no wonder the kid LOVES Indian food!). I also know that IF I were to offer him something not innate for his body, that I am the one responsible for setting him up for disease in the future.

Over the next few months, most of the blog posts will be dedicated to foods that are innate to our bodies. Foods that help us heal, and keep us strong and healthy. The food that nature intended us eat. I hope to inspire and educate mothers how to purchase and prepare food that will support the family in achieving optimal health. (There is a reason our family rarely gets sick - and it's not good luck! It is the food we eat!!) There are so many food options out there; labels and advertising make it more confusing. I hope to offer some insight to healthy and simple meals, some are already posted under "Recipes". I am a busy mother myself, so easy, quick and highly nutritious meals are the way to go in my book!

No comments: