4.18.2012

Not-Your-Ordinary Oatmeal - Recipe


I avoid cereals and packaged oatmeal because they are highly processed, inflammatory and usually have tons of added sugars to make then taste good. Here is a quick, healthy, tasty breakfast that adults and kids will enjoy! And with REAL ingredients! To make this busy mama's mornings less stressful, I make up a huge batch and reheat what I need in the morning over the stove. Tastes just a good re-heated! (when you re-heat, you might need to add a little water or almond milk)

Not-Your-Ordinary Oatmeal:
1/2 cup rinsed Quinoa
1/2 cup rinsed Wheat Berries
1 cup almond milk
1 cup water
Handful of chopped dates
Handful of chopped walnuts/almonds/pecans (whatever you like)
1 large apple, pealed and diced
Cinnamon
Ground Ginger
Agave

Combine Quinoa, Wheat Berries, Almond Milk and Water in medium pot and heat over stove. When liquid is about halfway absorbed, add in apples, dates and nuts. Stir well and continue cooking. When liquid is completely absorbed, add cinnamon, ginger and agave to taste. I don't measure much, but I think I used about 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ginger and a 1 tbs of agave.

No comments: