Things we could be toxic in are:
- TOXIC FOODS - I always say that if it did not come directly from the earth, with little or no alterations, you should not eat it. It is not innate for your body. Your body does not know what to do with this stuff, so it becomes inflamed and sick. Although some people are more sensitive to certain foods then others, the same inflammation is still happening on the inside. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's not there! People express inflammation and disease differently, anywhere from a general cold to GI problem to eczema to infertility to cancer. So, if you are sick, you need to look at what toxicities you are putting into your body. Foods that cause toxicities are grains, dairy, all processed foods, sugars, food colorings and chemicals. Foods that are ANTI-inflammatory are F&V, foods high in EFA's (avocados, EVOO, almonds, wild salmon), spices, water, etc.
- TOXIC THOUGHTS - negative thoughts can reak havoc on your body. Stress the the main cause to High Blood Pressure, Diabetes, Cancer, Heart Disease, Obesity, Headaches/Migraines, Insomnia, Fatigue, Fibromalgia, Ulcers and other GI problems, Skin Conditions, Fertility Problems and many many more! Practically EVERY DISEASE can be linked to chronic stress. If we can eliminate the stress, we can eliminate the disease. This doesn’t happen magically over night, but as soon as you start to remove the toxicity, you can start moving your body towards health and balance.
- TOXIC MOVEMENT - as humans, we are animals and we are meant to move. That is what separates animals from a rock. Movement is essential to our life; it is what allows us to be ALIVE!. Lack of movement, or faulty movement patterns cause degeneration and disease. Whatever your choice of exercise is, when you do exercise you relieve energy and tension, decrease levels of anxiety, increase the release of endorphins (makes you feel good!). You increase your ability to concentrate, reduce pain, sleep better and of course loose weight - which makes you feel better about yourself. Exercise balances your body. It’s your body’s innate way to deal with stress. It is essential to include all 3 components of fitness into your exercise routine, so if you are unsure, consult with a Certified Personal Trainer for more info. Movement does not only include gross movement of the large muscles (legs, arms, back, core, etc) but also the tiny movements of each individual joint. Movements that we do not even think about as we go throughout the day. But if these small joints are not moving properly, they can cause pain. Take Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS): A medical doctor will call this a "wrist problem" and recommend surgery. However, it is really a posture problem, and it starts up in the neck and shoulders. The nerves from the neck run down the shoulders into the arm and fingers. Poor posture causes the nerves to be compressed and causes pain, numbness or tingling. Correct posture can correct the CTS without the need for drugs or surgery! AMAZING! The most important area that needs to be assessed for proper movement is the spine. Since the nervous system is housed in the spinal cord, which is surrounded by the spinal collum, it is imperative for the spine to be moving properly to keep the nervous system functioning properly. If the spine is not moving properly, it can cause disk degeneration or herniation, pain and disease. The only doctor that is an expert in the nervous system AND the musculo-skeletal system is a chiropractor.
Some people think they are "well", but then why are they still sick? They think they eat well, but still get colds. They think they exercise enough, but still have aches and pains. They really might be eating and moving right, but why are they still gaining weight? There is still some toxicity or deficiency going on then.
Here are a few examples:
- Here in lovely South Florida, around this time of year, there is tons of pollen floating around. It lands on our cars, window sills and front door, eventually makes it's way into our house. It can cause allergy-like symptoms with stuffy and runny noses, eyes, soar throat and headaches. However, the reason we are sick is the pollen, (even though it is found in nature), NOT that we are deficient in Claritin or Allegra. Drugs are not the answer. They cause more harm then good. Instead we need to build our immune system by increasing F&V and water intake, eliminating grains and dairy (these cause even MORE inflammation in the body), using a neti pot (see neti pot post) for the nasal passages, drinking hot tea and Golden Milk (see recipes), getting plenty of rest, reducing stress and receiving regular chiropractic adjustments to keep the nervous system functioning properly. This spring, everyone in the family has suffered from a little "allergy" problem, but not that bad - no medication, no missed days of school or work. By increasing what we normally do has helped keep us feeling fine throughout Florida's "allergy season"!
- I am going to use my wonderful husband as an example here: when he gets super stressed out, he does not sleep well. He is up and down all night, and then the next day he is tired and craving high-fat foods (that is what your body does when it is stressed!) Although he already knows this, I encourage him to attend my yoga class to de-stress and unwind. He drinks alot of water and green smoothies throughout the day. Then at night, we go though a very relaxing yoga routine and meditation right before bed. Sure enough, he sleeps well throughout the night. No need for sleep medications. He feels better in the morning, ready to start the day. We all get stressed from time to time. It is how we DEAL with the stress is what keeps up healthy or sick.
- My own personal indication that I am stressed out or not eating right is my face breaks out. Usually my skin is very clear, but stress and high-sugar and high-preservative foods kills it.
- Nolan and I always get weekly chiropractic check-ups. Just to make sure everything is moving properly. Afterwards, I always feel better - taller, lighter, happier. It is amazing! If Nolan is really cranky or just can't seem to get comfortable, he will get an adjustment and a baby massage and always calms down immediately.